Thursday, May 27, 2010

Corner Headboard

I ended up pushing my bed up against the corner of my bedroom.  I have a platform bed from Ikea, meaning no headboard, so I decided to paint three canvases to create a makeshift one.  I saw this quote in a picture of a pretty cool blog called Grey Blog.  It's the front of the Michelberger Hotel in Berlin, pretty hipster, no?  Anyway I kind of liked this image and the quote for above my bed.  I later learned that it is very similar to a quote in Where the Wild Things Are.  It plays at the beginning of the trailer here.  


I bought 3 30'' by 24'' canvases.  I printed the letters out in Word in a font I liked, then traced the letters on contact paper, cut out the letters, and then laid them out and stuck this to the canvases.  Then I painted the whole canvases a burnt umber color in acrylic and after the paint dried, I peeled away the contact paper to reveal the letters underneath.  It was a very tedious process, but all in all it turned out nicely.  One canvas will hang at the side and two will hang directly above my bed. Here is a picture of one of the canvases, it been a slow process to get them all done, but was way more inexpensive and creative than buying a headboard. When they are all hung, I'll show the finished project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment