Friday, February 12, 2010

3 great movies, 3 great design ideas

I finally saw An Education this week in addition to A Single Man and Coco Avant Chanel last year and all three gave me a design idea to think about. Warning- these ideas probably shouldn't be used with one another.
In An Education, Danny plays with an armadillo figurine. Deer heads, deer antlers, moose, taxidermy, have all made a resurgence in home decor, why not bring nature inside with an huge armadillo on a side table? The one above is from Etsy.

I loved the house featured in A Single Man and through apartment therapy I heard it was up for sale for a mere 1.5 million! Anyway I also love the scene where Jullianne Moore's character is puffing away while on the phone with Colin Firth's character at her vanity. The gigantic, identical lamps on each end of the table seem like a bit much but I think it would be a good way to bring focus to a large, decorative mirror.

Besides the wonderful fashion in Coco Avant Chanel, I really liked the black wooden table and chairs. I think this sort of design and the chairs below with various backs would make for a great dining area with a row of 3 or 4 hanging lamps. I have just the space to fit all this.

No comments:

Post a Comment